Extramural Grant Policies

Extramural Funding

The University of Hawai‘i at Hilo strongly encourages faculty to apply for extramural funding of scholarly and/or creative activities as well as non-research grants to enhance instructional capabilities. There are diverse international, federal, state, county and private agencies that provide funds for such activities.

Office of Research Services

The Office of Research Services (ORS), a part of the University of Hawai'i System Office, has a Hilo service center to provide on-site assistance to UH Hilo faculty and staff who are applying for extramural funding. The ORS' contracts and grants specialists at the Hilo service center are available to meet one-on-one to discuss grant proposals and funding opportunities with UH Hilo Principle Investigators/Project Directors. Faculty members are encouraged to contact the ORS contracts and grants specialists with information about their interest areas so the office staff can alert them to grant opportunities. However, the best sources of information on funding opportunities will be through Pivot, a searchable funding opportunities database, in newsletters and journals in the faculty member’s subject area or via the Internet. Please see detailed on searching for funding opportunity in ORS web site http://www.ors.hawaii.edu/index.php/funding-announcements

The ORS Hilo service center is located in Portable Building 19 at Hilo Campus. For pre-award information (that is, information about how to find grant information, how to apply for grants, and post award administration - (e.g. no cost extension, subawards, rebudgeting, amendments), please contact the ORS Contracts & Grants Specialists assigned to your unit on the ORS Contracts & Grants Specialist Assignment page found here: http://www.ors.hawaii.edu/index.php/ors-assignments#uh-hilo.

Important Information for Applicants

Extramural funds, including grants and contracts, are administered by the UH Office of Research Services (ORS) using myGRANT, the UH System's online research administration software that is required for use by all UH campuses. myGRANT: As of February 16, 2012, the use of myGRANT is mandatory for all proposal submissions for all UH campuses. Please see ORS  web page for myGRANT information http://www.ors.hawaii.edu/index.php/mygrant-link

If the proposal requires cost share commitments and/or research space please obtain approval from the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs in advance via Google Doc see the link https://docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/forms/d/1rMfzf1vwVt6anzdpojR9YPdKMRYkCm4mevHpmaTtFrk/viewform?usp=send_form . Once approved attach the documentation as appropriate to the myGRANT record.

Special Compliance Considerations

The UH Office of Research Compliance ensures that all research adheres to federal, state, and university policy. When a faculty or staff member proposes research that involves animal care, biosafety concerns, and potentially hazardous activities and materials, the faculty or staff member must apply for approval or exemption from the relevant program or committee before the research may proceed: Animal and Veterinary Service Program/Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), Biosafety Program/Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), and Human Studies Program/Institutional Review Board (IRB). It is the responsibility of the proposing faculty member to secure such reviews in a timely fashion when submitting proposals, so faculty must allow time for these reviews to take place.

In myGRANT, the PI/PD should document research compliance approvals/exemptions. These approvals/exemptions are required before research funds may be released.

Information about these review processes may be obtained by calling the UH System Office of Research Compliance at (808) 932-7097. Additional information can be found on the UH System Research website.


For more information about extramural grants, contact ORS Helplines at 808 956-5198 or orshelp@hawaii.edu