Proposal Submission

Proposals for extramural support for research, training or other activities to be conducted by University of Hawai‘i (UH) faculty, staff and students are required to be submitted through the UH Office of Research Services (ORS).

For all Proposals Submitted through ORS: A completed myGRANT proposal development (PD) record must accompany all proposals submitted to ORS. The proposal attached in myGRANT must be the exact duplicate of the proposal to be submitted to the sponsor.

An approved submission must be received by ORS at least 5 business days prior to the Sponsor Deadline indicated in myGRANT for submission to the sponsor via the method indicated in the “Delivery Info” section of the myGRANT PD record. A proposal received by ORS after this date will be considered a Late Submission (see below).

A Complete Submission will include the Complete Proposal (including all documents required by the sponsor; typically, a cover letter, abstract, narrative project plan, budget, biographical sketches of key personnel, letters of support, etc.) and myGRANT PD record with all required information and electronic approvals. In addition, a complete submission will include applicable supporting documents (e.g., letter of commitment; compliance certifications, etc.). Requirements for these supporting documents are included in the myGRANT PD record and myGRANT Institutional Questions. The myGRANT Institutional Questions document and Proposal Checklist are available on the ORS Website at


Electronic Proposal Submission(s): In addition to your complete proposal, please attach a copy of the proposal solicitation (or program announcement / RFP / RFA) in your myGRANT PD record. Append other documents, as applicable.

  • For non-S2S submissions, the documents from the Workspace application must be attached in your myGRANT PD record, under the Abstracts and Attachments Tab as one file.  For further instructions, please refer to the myGRANT tutorials and quick reference guides available on Laulima at
  • Most proposals to the National Science Foundation (NSF) must be submitted through FastLane at
  • Most NASA proposals are submitted online through NSPIRES at

For registration and questions on electronic proposal submissions, please contact the ORS Helpline at (808) 956-5198 or by email at  To register online, please submit a support ticket at


Submitting Proposals by Mail:  In your myGRANT PD record, please include copies of the proposal, solicitation, and supporting documentation to be printed for hard copy submission(s).The office of the PI is responsible for mailing the proposal to the sponsor unless otherwise specified in the myGRANT PD record under the “Delivery Info” section.


Advance Notification to ORS:  Principal Investigators (PIs) are asked to notify ORS as early as possible of the intent to submit a proposal. This will aid in our efforts to provide continued services in accommodating expected increases in proposal volume. To notify ORS, please send an e-mail to your assigned specialist and include the name of the program and agency/sponsor (including the RFP, RAA, or solicitation number) and any other information (such as compliance requirements, subawards, etc.)

Please use the following chart to determine the Grants Specialist assigned to your school / unit:


ORS Office Locations: ORS has four offices. The main office is located in the Sinclair Library Basement, 2425 Campus Road, Room 1 (2440 Campus Road, Box 368) on the UH Mānoa campus. The Kaka‘ako Service Center is located in the Medical Education Building 412 on the UH Kaka‘ako campus. The Maui Service Center is located in the Kupa‘a Building. The West O‘ahu Service Center is located in Building D.


Late Submissions: A proposal submitted to ORS after the applicable date will be considered a late submission. ORS will make every effort to process late submissions, but there may not be time for an adequate review. If an award is made based on a late submission of a proposal signed by the college, school, department, and/or campus leadership that unit will be responsible to cover costs incurred by UH as a result of proposal errors. Such costs might include cost sharing commitments or unallowable commitments of UH resources.


Submitting Proposals through Workspace

If you have not registered as a user at with affiliation to UH for Workspace, please register now and get approval with UH to submit proposals via  User should complete application form as an Organization Applicant with The ORS Helpline will receive the affiliation request and assign the Manage Workspace role.

See here for more information on registering for Workspace:

Note: Multiple federal agencies use; some of these agencies require PI registration on their agency platform (such as eRA Commons). PIs should register through the ORS Helpline.

  • For information on federal funding opportunities, visit “Search Grant Opportunities” at:
  • From this site, you can subscribe to receive email notifications and updates on grant opportunities in your area of interest.
  • When you find a funding opportunity that you want to apply for, create a Workspace and add participants, including your assigned ORS grants specialist.
  • Download and install the latest version of Adobe Reader. Compatibility information for and Adobe can be found at:
  • Route to ORS an approved myGRANT PD record with the proposal solicitation, and other documents (i.e., commitment letters, compliance documents, etc., as applicable)

If you have questions, contact the ORS Helpline at (808) 956-5198 or by email at

Form Submitted

Thank You


The form was submitted successfully.

Pre-Proposal/White Paper Submission Process

A pre-proposal (also known as white paper) is generally a short statement of your project objectives, methodology, intended audience and estimated budget sometimes required by a sponsor in advance of the submission of a formal proposal. A principal investigator (PI) is not required to create a myGRANT proposal development record at the pre-proposal stage. A myGRANT proposal development record will only be required when a PI is invited to submit a full proposal to the sponsor following white paper submission.

However, some principal investigators (PIs) may elect to create a myGRANT proposal development at the pre-proposal stage to ensure that all necessary approvals are documented. It is the PI's responsibility to obtain approvals for any resource commitments from their chancellor, dean/director, department chair, as applicable, and their fiscal administrator. Resource commitments include but are not limited to, time and effort and/or cost sharing requirements.

The following is the process to be followed at the pre-proposal stage.

myGRANT Proposal Development Record Created

If the PI elects to create a myGRANT proposal development record at the pre-proposal stage, once it has gone through full workflow routing, the ORS Specialist will review the record for compliance with UH, sponsor and solicitation requirements. The ORS Specialist will ensure that the proposal type is marked "preliminary" in the myGRANT proposal development record.

Once the ORS Specialist completes review, they will submit the pre-proposal to the sponsor.

No myGRANT Proposal Development Record Created

  1. Sponsor Requires Endorsement by Authorized Organization Representative (AOR)

    If the sponsor requires endorsement of the pre-proposal by the UH AOR and no myGRANT proposal development record is created, the ORS Specialist will request written documentation of approval of any resource commitments (e.g., time and effort and/or cost-sharing commitments) from the chancellor, dean/director, and/or department chair, as applicable, and the PI's fiscal administrator.

    Once necessary approvals have been received, the ORS Specialist will submit the pre‑proposal to the sponsor.
  2. Sponsor Does Not Require AOR Endorsement

    If the sponsor does not require endorsement by the UH AOR, it is the responsibility of the PI to ensure that approvals of any resource commitments (e.g., time and effort and/or cost-sharing commitments) from the chancellor, dean/director, and/or department chair, as applicable, and the PI's fiscal administrator are on file with the pre-proposal submitted at the departmental level. If the PI is subsequently invited to submit a full proposal, copies of the preliminary file should be attached in the "Abstracts and Attachments" tab when the myGRANT proposal development record is created.


Guidelines for Participating in SBIR/STTR Programs

A number of federal agencies have programs supporting the research and development activities of small businesses that foster collaboration with university research.  ORS is seeing increasing numbers of Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) collaborations, both, where UH faculty, staff and students are subcontractors of small businesses and where UH faculty, staff and students are themselves the proprietors of start-up companies.  UH recognizes the importance of the SBIR and STTR program goals such as stimulating technological innovation and encouraging technology commercialization, both of which, increase productivity and economic growth.  However, some of these types of activities and the relationships fostered between small businesses and UH faculty, staff and students may give rise to conflicts of interest and/or conflict of commitment issues.

The Vice President for Research and Innovation (VPRI), the Office Technology Transfer and Economic Development (OTTED) and ORS have created these guidelines to address issues of SBIR and STTR funded projects.

  1. The Principal Investigator (PI) on subcontracts/subawards to UH and the PI on the SBIR/STTR award to the small business must not be the same individual.
  2. UH employees should not be the PI on SBIR awards (SBIR program requires the PI to be primarily employed, >50%, by the small business), without an exception/approval from the Deciding Official (Vice President for Research and Innovation).
  3. The proposed research to be performed at and by the small business must be clearly delineated and distinct from the research to be performed at UH.  Additionally, the small business must provide evidence of adequate facilities (laboratory, office…) to perform the work.  The small business may not utilize any UH resources for any of their activities.
  4. UH employees (including members of their immediate family) who have ownership interest in the small business receiving a SBIR/STTR award may not conduct or direct research in his/her own laboratory through subcontracts/subawards from that small business.
  5. All licensing and intellectual property issues must be reviewed by OTTED and agreements must be in place before any UH subcontract/subaward is executed.
  6. The implementation of a COI management plan may be required when these guidelines are inadequate, and will be determined on a case by case basis.

What to Do When You Receive an Extramural Grant Award

You have just been notified that your grant was awarded.  Congratulations!

For the initial account set up, the ORS Project Fiscal accountant assigned to the sponsor will:
(1) Assign the appropriate account number,
(2) Create the Award in KFS,
(3) Review and input any additional attributes required for a CG account, and
(4) Input the sponsor-approved budget.

This Account and Single-Sided Budget Adjustment (SSBA) eDocs will be routed via the Kuali Financial System workflow to the Fiscal Administrator (FA) at UH Hilo - Paula Gealon 932-7688 at the UH Hilo Office for Research, Fiscal Administration Section (aka RAPD) and will be included in her Action List.  It is the responsibility of the FA to review the account attributes and budget for accuracy and initiate any changes in KFS as necessary. Contact the ORS accountant if there are any questions; please see the   link to the ORS website to identify the accountant assigned to your grant’s sponsor:

In general the account eDocs should be available for FA to review within three working days of the notice that the award has been finalized.  The account set up may require that certain compliance actions have been taken, such as approval of your study by the Human Studies Committee or the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. If these actions are required for your grant and are not completed at the time the award is finalized, establishing the account in KFS will be delayed. The ORS website also contains useful information for account set up and management:

You may also want to contact the ORS Contracts & Grants Specialists assigned to your unit on the ORS Contracts & Grants Specialist Assignment page found here:

These staff members provide assistance in answering questions you may have on any of the terms and conditions in your grant or contract which can have a significant impact on the tasks you need to do to assure the success of your project.  Final decisions on grant transactions are made by the Fiscal Administrator.