Account Establishment and Updates
Please check with the assigned ORS accountant for Awards Account Set-up. For the ORS accountant assignments, go to Projects Fiscal Accounting Teams by Sponsor
Establishment and Maintenance of Contracts and Grants (CG) Accounts, and Budget Input and Maintenance
New Awards and Account/Budget Establishment:
For new awards, the ORS accountant will establish the initial account and input the budget as awarded by the sponsor.
- All awards that have been fully executed and accepted by the University will be uploaded to the applicable ORS Docushare file for access by the ORS accountant. The ORS accountant will then initiate and establish the initial account and input the sponsor-approved budget.
- CG accounts are established using the Account eDoc in the Kuali Financial System (KFS). The budget inputs are done using the appropriate budget eDoc.
Generally, the ORS accountant will establish the initial account for a new award within three business days, provided all of the required information is available. This includes the proper account attributes and approved sponsor budget.
For the initial account set up, ORS Fiscal Accounting will:
(1) Assign the appropriate account number based on the sub-fund type,
(2) Create the Award in KFS;
(3) Review and input any additional attributes required for a CG account, and
(4) Input the sponsor-approved budget.
This Account and Single-Sided Budget Adjustment (SSBA) eDocs will be routed via the KFS workflow to the fiscal administrator (FA) and will be included in their Action List. It is the responsibility of the FA to review the account attributes and budget for accuracy and initiate any changes in KFS as necessary, contacting the ORS accountant if there are any questions.
Please note that budget information will only be entered in the Current Budget. In baseline KFS, Base Budgets are not carried over to subsequent fiscal years, therefore, base budget information will not be maintained in KFS for CG accounts.
- For new awards, the ORS accountant will establish the initial account and input the budget as awarded by the sponsor.
Account and Budget Maintenance for Existing Awards:
For changes to existing accounts, request for additional accounts for an existing award, and budget adjustments for existing accounts, the FA will initiate the appropriate eDoc to request additional accounts for an award or to do budget adjustments.
- For changes to existing accounts, the FA will initiate an account eDoc to change and/or correct any attribute on the account. Once the FA submits the account eDoc, the eDoc be routed to ORS accounting for review and approval. It is the responsibility of the FA to review the account once changes have been made in KFS.
To request additional accounts for an award, the FA will initiate an account eDoc.
- In the account number field, put in a pseudo account number. Once ORS accounting receives the eDoc, an account number will be assigned and the FA will be notified once the account has been created. The FA will be responsible for reviewing the new account for accuracy.
To input additional funding or re-budget within an account or between one or more existing accounts, the FA will initiate the appropriate budget eDoc.
- To input additional funding (modification, supplement), the Single Sided Budget Adjustment (SSBA) eDoc should be used.
- For re-budgets within an account or between accounts, the Budget Adjustment (BA) eDoc should be used. For the BA eDoc, the “TO” and “FROM” sections must be equal in amount (self-balancing).
- For changes to existing accounts, request for additional accounts for an existing award, and budget adjustments for existing accounts, the FA will initiate the appropriate eDoc to request additional accounts for an award or to do budget adjustments.
All Contracts and Grants (CG) accounts with project end dates require a continuation account. For expenditures that are charged to a CG account beyond 22 days after the project end date, KFS will automatically book the expenditure to the continuation account.
- Continuation accounts should be set up as clearing accounts. It is the responsibility of the FA to monitor the continuation accounts regularly and transfer expenditures to the appropriate CG or other operating account timely.
- All Contracts and Grants (CG) accounts with project end dates require a continuation account. For expenditures that are charged to a CG account beyond 22 days after the project end date, KFS will automatically book the expenditure to the continuation account.
- eThority Reports:
The following eThority reports can be used to assist you in the monitoring of CG accounts:
- eThority report CBMR090 (CG Account Summary by Account)provides program information pertaining to a particular contract/grant award. The report shows the total budget authorized by the sponsor and actual expenditures and encumbrances incurred to date, and the available/unexpended balance.
- eThority report CBMR091AWFO (CG Consolidated Statement by Award & Account) provides program information for all accounts under a particular Award. This report shows the total consolidated budget authorized by the sponsor and consolidated actual expenditures and encumbrances incurred to date, and the consolidated available/unexpended balance for the Award.
- eThority report “CG Accounts with Deficits” assist in identifying extramural project accounts that are in a deficit situation. This report should be periodically reviewed to ensure that all adjustments have been made timely to resolve any accounts in deficit.
- Cost Sharing Report “KFS Cost Share Report by Account with Transaction Detail or KFS Cost Share report by FO Code with Transaction Detail” provides information on University contributions of personnel and non-personnel costs, and third party contributions made for the specific contract/grant award. Information on monitoring and administration of cost sharing for extramural contracts and grants are outlined in APM A8.947.
- eThority reports "CBMR289 To Assist with Effort Reporting" and "Payroll Inquiry by Employee - %age by Account" shall be used to reconcile payroll transactions and identify all employees that require a Salary Transfer (ST) Adjustment. See APM A8.948 for additional information and process for effort reporting.
- Continuation Account Transactions databook allows users to look at all transactions that have been automatically booked to continuation accounts. The user can filter this databook to look at a specific account number, fiscal administrator, object code, or any other field in the databook.