Proposals for extramural support for research, training or other activities to be conducted by University of Hawai‘i (UH) faculty, staff and students are required to be submitted through the UH Office of Research Services (ORS).
For all Proposals Submitted through ORS: A completed myGRANT proposal development (PD) record must accompany all proposals submitted to ORS. The proposal attached in myGRANT must be the exact duplicate of the proposal to be submitted to the sponsor.
An approved submission must be received by ORS at least 5 business days prior to the Sponsor Deadline indicated in myGRANT for submission to the sponsor via the method indicated in the “Delivery Info” section of the myGRANT PD record. A proposal received by ORS after this date will be considered a Late Submission (see below).
A Complete Submission will include the Complete Proposal (including all documents required by the sponsor; typically, a cover letter, abstract, narrative project plan, budget, biographical sketches of key personnel, letters of support, etc.) and myGRANT PD record with all required information and electronic approvals. In addition, a complete submission will include applicable supporting documents (e.g., letter of commitment; compliance certifications, etc.). Requirements for these supporting documents are included in the myGRANT PD record and myGRANT Institutional Questions. The myGRANT Institutional Questions document and Proposal Checklist are available on the ORS Website at http://www.ors.hawaii.edu.
Electronic Proposal Submission(s): In addition to your complete proposal, please attach a copy of the proposal solicitation (or program announcement / RFP / RFA) in your myGRANT PD record. Append other documents, as applicable.
- For Grants.gov non-S2S submissions, the documents from the Grants.gov Workspace application must be attached in your myGRANT PD record, under the Abstracts and Attachments Tab as one file. For further instructions, please refer to the myGRANT tutorials and quick reference guides available on Laulima at https://laulima.hawaii.edu/portal.
- Most proposals to the National Science Foundation (NSF) must be submitted through FastLane at https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/jsp/homepage/proposals.jsp
- Most NASA proposals are submitted online through NSPIRES at http://nspires.nasaprs.com
For registration and questions on electronic proposal submissions, please contact the ORS Helpline at (808) 956-5198 or by email at email@example.com. To register online, please submit a support ticket with the ORS Helpline
Submitting Proposals by Mail: In your myGRANT PD record, please include copies of the proposal, solicitation, and supporting documentation to be printed for hard copy submission(s). The office of the PI is responsible for mailing the proposal to the sponsor unless otherwise specified in the myGRANT PD record under the “Delivery Info” section.
Advance Notification to ORS: Principal Investigators (PIs) are asked to notify ORS as early as possible of the intent to submit a proposal. This will aid in our efforts to provide continued services in accommodating expected increases in proposal volume. To notify ORS, please send an e-mail to your assigned specialist and include the name of the program and agency/sponsor (including the RFP, RAA, or solicitation number) and any other information (such as compliance requirements, subawards, etc.)
Please use the following page to determine the Grants Specialist assigned to your school / unit
ORS Office Locations: ORS has four offices. The main office is located in the Sinclair Library Basement, 2425 Campus Road, Room 1 (2440 Campus Road, Box 368) on the UH Mānoa campus. The Kaka‘ako Service Center is located in the Medical Education Building 412 on the UH Kaka‘ako campus. The Maui Service Center is located in the Kupa‘a Building. The West O‘ahu Service Center is located in Building D.
Late Submissions: A proposal submitted to ORS after the applicable date will be considered a late submission. ORS will make every effort to process late submissions, but there may not be time for an adequate review. If an award is made based on a late submission of a proposal signed by the college, school, department, and/or campus leadership that unit will be responsible to cover costs incurred by UH as a result of proposal errors. Such costs might include cost sharing commitments or unallowable commitments of UH resources.
Submitting Proposals through Grants.gov Workspace
If you have not registered as a user at Grants.gov with affiliation to UH for Workspace, please register now and get approval with UH to submit proposals via Grants.gov. User should complete application form as an Organization Applicant with Grants.gov. The ORS Helpline will receive the affiliation request and assign the Manage Workspace role.
Note: Multiple federal agencies use Grants.gov; some of these agencies require PI registration on their agency platform (such as eRA Commons). PIs should register through the ORS Helpline.
- For information on federal funding opportunities, visit “Search Grant Opportunities” at: http://www.grants.gov/web/grants/search-grants.html.
- From this site, you can subscribe to receive email notifications and updates on grant opportunities in your area of interest.
- When you find a funding opportunity that you want to apply for, create a Workspace and add participants, including your assigned ORS grants specialist.
- Download and install the latest version of Adobe Reader. Compatibility information for grants.gov and Adobe can be found at: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/applicants/adobe-software-compatibility.html
- Route to ORS an approved myGRANT PD record with the proposal solicitation, and other documents (i.e., commitment letters, compliance documents, etc., as applicable)
If you have questions, contact the ORS Helpline at (808) 956-5198 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org